A congress 'without physical contact': 2021 MWC organizers anticipate big changes
Deal to hold trade fair in Barcelona until at least 2024 ratified by board
The organizers of the Mobile World Congress are anticipating major changes to ensure that the 2021 edition meets safety and hygiene requirements.
"Our goal is to have a Mobile World Congress without physical contact," said Mats Granryd, CEO of organizers GSMA, at an event to ratify the deal that will see the trade fair remain in Barcelona until at least 2024.
At a joint press conference, the Spanish and Catalan governments and Barcelona City Council reaffirmed their commitment to what is regarded as the world's biggest mobile technology show.
Catalan digital minister, Jordi Puigneró, said that the congress, which will take place from March 1 to 4 March next year, will be "key" to the economic recovery of Catalonia following the Covid-19 pandemic.
Barcelona mayor, Ada Colau, said she was "convinced" that next year's fair will be an innovative event that "will reach many more people."
The Spanish executive was represented economy minister, Nadia Calviño, who expressed their "firm commitment" to the congress.
The cancelation of the 2020 edition in February was a major blow to the Catalan economy – before any coronavirus cases had been reported here – and served as a sign of things to come as the pandemic spread across the globe.