Renowned Catalan chefs raise funds for children at the Grand Theatre of Liceu
On Sunday 29 June, a stellar cast performed 'Ferran Adrià and the factory of solidarity food', a comedy show which aimed to share the secrets of Catalan haute cuisine while raising money for the Casal dels Infants, a community centre for children in need. The Grand Theatre of Liceu was chosen as the venue where internationally renowned Catalan chefs Ferran Adrià, Carme Ruscalleda, Cristian Escribà and Joan Roca demonstrated how to cook in an 18th century kitchen, to commemorate the tercentenary of the War of Spanish Succession of 1714. Familiar faces such as journalist Josep Cuní or chef Alberto Chicote also participated in the show.
Barcelona (ACN.) - A stellar cast performed on Sunday afternoon in the show 'Ferran Adrià and the factory of solidarity food', which aims to raise funds for the Casal dels Infants, a community centre for children in need. The Grand Theatre of Liceu was chosen as the venue where internationally renowned Catalan chefs Ferran Adrià, Carme Ruscalleda, Cristian Escribà and Joan Roca demonstrated how to cook in an 18th century kitchen, to celebrate the tercentenary of the events of 1714. Familiar faces such as journalist Josep Cuní or chef Alberto Chicote also participated in the show. 1714 saw the end to the Spanish War of Succession and the defeat of the Aragon Kingdom troops at the Seige of Barcelona. The date has come to symbolise the fight by the Barcelonans and the entire Catalan people to defend individual, institutional and political freedoms against the arbitrary behaviour of absolute monarchy.
Actor Cesc Casanovas, who plays ‘Ferran Adrià’ on TV, was the first to take to the stage after Cuní’s welcoming presentation. A video was also projected, showing Adrià’s fictitious investigation into the cuisine of 1700 at the Born Cultural Centre.
In the next segment, Ruscalleda, Adrià and Roca entered the scene to explain some of the products used in cooking at that time: from potatoes and tomatoes through to artichokes and the meat. Written and directed by Minoria Absoluta, 'Ferran Adrià and the factory of solidarity food' wanted to share with the audience the history and secrets of Catalan haute cuisine through humour and entertainment.
Moments before the start of the show, Joan Roca claimed that it was more difficult to perform in front an audience in a theatre that it was to maintain three Michelin stars in a restaurant. "It's hard for us when we’re out of our natural environment, a kitchen," he explained. However he admitted that with the growth of his popularity, and that of his brothers, as the head of the 'Celler de Can Roca' he "increasingly feels more comfortable on stage”
The second edition of this campaign intends to exceed the € 130,000 raised last year for the benefit of the Casal dels Infants. "It's wonderful project, a mirror for the other institutions," said Ferran Adrià, speaking about the importance of the centre. The chef is confident that "people have an awareness of how important it is for society to work together"
The Casal dels Infants.
The money raised by Sunday’s performance together with other events related to the solidarity campaign will go to the Casal dels Infants. Founded in 1983 in the Raval district of Barcelona, \u200B\u200Bthis association focuses its efforts on those children and young people who have certain social needs depending on where they live. "The centre has always said that poverty should not be hereditary" said Luis Prats, vice president of the organization.
Social action, advocacy and awareness-raising, mobilization and voluntary activity are some of the main themes of the association, and more than 800 people work and collaborate into a total of 42 projects.
The organisation has a presence in the Raval and Besòs districts of Barcelona; the neighbourhood of Mina in Sant Adrià, and the neighbourhoods of Sant Roc and Llefià in Badalona.
The centre is also established in Santa Coloma de Gramenet, and has more projects in cooperation with organizations in Morocco. From the latest available figures, in 2012 the Casal dels Infants raised more than five million euros. Approximately 41% of this sum was contributed by the public sector and the remaining 59% came from private funds.
The € 130,000 raised in the previous campaign, thanks to the contribution of fifty companies and organizations, allocated summer activities to those children and teenagers who had not previously had the opportunity to do any kind of extracurricular activities. "With this money we were able to triple the available places," said Prats. "It's money that will be transformed into opportunities," he concluded.