NOTE! This site uses cookies

By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. For more detalis, see Read more

Accept

What are you looking for?

Spain urges Catalan officials to condemn unrest and warns of ‘violent organized groups’

"We won’t accept violence taking over," says acting president Pedro Sánchez as Barcelona descends into new night of unrest

SHARE

16 October 2019 09:36 PM

by

ACN | Madrid

Spain’s acting president Pedro Sánchez stressed that his government "will not accept violence taking over" Catalonia as the streets of Barcelona entered a new night of unrest on Wednesday.  

Sánchez urged Catalan president Quim Torra and his ministers to "condemn violence without excuses," and warned against "organized groups" carrying out vandalic acts in recent days.

On Thursday morning, the interior minister of the Spanish government offered a press conference to evaluate the latest protests, which caused damages worth €627,000 only in Barcelona

In all, 194 police officers were injured since the protests kicked off on Monday, following the sentencing of 9 independence leaders for sedition. So far, police have arrested 97 people, with 4 sent to prison without bail.

"We'll continue to arrest those who behave criminally. There will be no impunity," said minister Fernando Grande-Marlaska.

SHARE

  • Spain's acting president Pedro Sánchez (by Roger Pi de Cabanyes)

  • Spain's acting president Pedro Sánchez (by Roger Pi de Cabanyes)

RELATED