NOTE! This site uses cookies

By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. For more detalis, see Read more

Accept

What are you looking for?

Catalonia sells more abroad than to the rest of Spain

Catalan companies sold more goods and services abroad than they did to the rest of Spain in 2011. 52.9% of all Catalonia’s external sales were made abroad, while 47.1% were made to the rest of Spain. In addition, it is the first time that Catalonia has registered a positive balance of trade.

SHARE

05 July 2012 01:17 AM

by

ACN

Barcelona (ACN).- Catalan exports to international markets have been growing over the last few years and in 2011 they overtook the amount Catalonia sells to the rest of Spain. Exports abroad represented 52.9% of Catalonia\u2019s external trade, above the 47.1% that was sold  to the rest of Spain. This is the main finding of the Catalan Economy Ministry\u2019s report, released this Wednesday and called \u2018Catalan external sector: Evolution of the trade with Spain\u2019 (\u2018Sector exterior català: Evolució del comerç amb Espanya\u2019). The report analyses data since the year 2000. In addition, 2011 is the first time that Catalonia has registered a positive balance of trade, which represented 1.8% of Catalonia\u2019s GDP.


The report indicates that sales to the rest of Spain are stagnating, while in the last few years exports have significantly increased. Until last year, Catalonia\u2019s only years with a positive balance of trade were due to the sales made throughout Spain. However, in 2011, exports were the main  reason for  the positive balance.

In relation to GDP data regarding demand, in 2000, the positive balance of trade with Spain represented 12.2% of Catalonia\u2019s GDP and the negative balance of trade with international markets was -4.9%. In 2011, the Catalan economy had a trade surplus in both areas: 2.2% of Catalonia\u2019s GDP with the rest of Spain and 1.8% with international markets. Therefore, in total, Catalonia had a 4% surplus taking into account all its external sales.

 Additionally, Catalonia\u2019s exports of goods and services (not only industrial exports) increased by 7.5% last year, above the 5.8% average indicated by the IMF. Therefore, the Catalan economy is gaining market share, thanks to the gradual restructuring of its exports to more expansive markets, outside the European Union.

SHARE

  • Catalonia sells more abroad than to the rest of Spain (by ACN)

  • Catalonia sells more abroad than to the rest of Spain (by ACN)