Most of wildfire in Costa Brava stabilized as some evacuated allowed to return home

Perimeter of flames remain similar during whole day at 420 hectares

Image of the wildfire in Llançà from the air on July 17, 2021 (by Rural Officers)
Image of the wildfire in Llançà from the air on July 17, 2021 (by Rural Officers) / ACN

ACN | Barcelona

July 17, 2021 09:39 PM

Between 60% and 70% of the wildfire in the northernmost part of Costa Brava has been stabilized, as announced by the emergency services on Saturday evening.

The perimeter of the flames remained similar during the whole day at around 410 to 420 hectares.

Most of the area affected is inside the Cap de Creus iconic natural park. This entails popular sites such as Cadaqués, Portlligat and the Sant Pere de Rodes monastery – a UNESCO heritage site. It was first estimated at 453 hectares, but after the visibility improved, authorities slightly reduced the impact of the flames.

Current situation: 'moderately optimistic'

Firefighter Santi Lleonart said to the press that some areas are "badly burnt" and can relight.

 According to him, the wildfire is still active because the areas stabilized could also reignite, but they are "moderately optimists" for the coming hours.

They are hopeful that the northern winds hitting the area strongly during the last two days diminish and the temperature lowers at night.

Trying to find out author of 'negligence'

The natural disaster declared in the town of Llançà is thought to be caused by a cigarette butt that was found in the site where the fire began.

Rural officers head Josep Antoni Mur said it will be difficult to find DNA in the butt in order to know dropped it, but added that authorities will do their best to find it out.

For him, it is "very likely" that the cigarette was thrown from a car, since the butt was found just outside the tarmac.

For the Catalan interior minister, Joan Ignasi Elena, having to fight a wildfire "due to a possible negligence is outrageous."

Professionals injured

Four firefighters and a member of a Forest Defense Group ADF were injured while attempting to put out the flames.