Former Catalan president Pujol ordered to participate in corruption trial from home
Jordi Pujol and his family face trial by Spain's National Court accused of money laundering and tax offences

Spain’s National Court has ruled that former Catalan president Jordi Pujol will participate in the corruption trial against him and his family from his home in Barcelona via videolink.
The court will decide whether or not to exempt him from the trial when he is due to testify, or earlier if his condition changes.
The judges made the decision on Monday following a videoconference including Pujol, two forensic doctors from the Catalan Institute of Legal Medicine (IMLCFC), and a forensic expert from the National Court.
The Catalan experts reaffirmed that Pujol is not in adequate physical or mental health to defend himself in a traditional courtroom, though he expressed willingness to participate in the trial.
The video hearing was closed to the press, but all the co-accused were able to see Pujol live.
According to court sources, he told the hearing: "I am at your disposal to answer as best I can, but I'm not in great shape."
When asked by the prosecutor, Pujol said he would try to understand the documents presented to him, but could not guarantee full comprehension.
The forensic experts from the IMLCFC reaffirmed their previous assessment, while the National Court's forensic doctor also confirmed that the former president is unwell: "He talks a lot but says very little."
Decision on testifying in due course
As the trial's opening session began, the presiding judge addressed the former president, telling him that the trial would start "with your presence."
"This means that, in principle, you will be present at the trial sessions, and it will be determined in due course whether you can continue should any situation or change in your health occur. The court will decide accordingly," the judge said.
"In any case, at the moment when you are required to take an active role, it will be determined exactly whether you are able to do so or not. This also means that the court will allow you to participate from your home," the judge concluded.
Family arrive at court
Earlier, the children of former Catalan president Jordi Pujol, along with the other defendants, arrived at Spain's National Court outside Madrid to face trial on charges including criminal association, money laundering, forgery of commercial documents, tax offences, and obstruction of justice.
The defendants arrived on Monday morning amid heavy media attention and in anticipation of a videoconference with the former president.
Pujol faces nine years in prison for allegedly hiding money in Andorra and benefiting his children through corrupt practices while in office.
Pujol expresses desire to testify
Before the trial, Pujol reiterated his desire to testify, his personal doctor, Jaume Padrós, told radio broadcaster RAC1 on Monday morning, despite several people trying to explain to Pujol that it "would not be advisable."
"One characteristic of his condition is that he cannot fully grasp his cognitive deficits. We need to be proactive in making everyone understand that he is not in a condition to defend himself and argue effectively," Padrós said.
Regarding Pujol's recent pneumonia, Padrós added that he visited the former president on Sunday and that he is "recovering well" but is still convalescing.
"He continues to express the desire to testify, and we have tried to make him understand that it is not advisable. He has significant hearing difficulties and will struggle to follow the proceedings, which require cognitive clarity. He tires very easily. It is hard to imagine he could endure such a long trial," Padrós said.
Pujol, 95, was discharged on Friday from Barcelona's Sagrada Família Clinic, where he had been hospitalized for six days.
Background
On July 25, 2014, former Catalan president Jordi Pujol acknowledged that he had kept money overseas since 1980, as part of his father Florenci's inheritance. In the text shared to some media outlets, he asked for "forgiveness."
Eleven and a half years after the confession that shocked Catalonia, Pujol and his seven children are facing trial for corruption: illegal association or being part of a criminal organization, money laundering, forgery of commercial documents, tax evasion, and asset stripping.
Pujol, president from 1980 to 2003, faces nine years in prison for having around €4 million in Andorra and allegedly allowing his children to benefit from unlawful deals while he was in power.
Pujol's wife, Marta Ferrusola, was excused for health reasons and passed away in 2024.
Aside from Pujol and his family, the court will try Mercè Gironès, the ex-wife of Jordi Pujol Ferrussola, the eldest son, as well as around fifteen business people, including Luis Delso, Gustavo Buesa, and Carles Vilarrubi.
The trial is expected to run until May 2026, with over 250 witnesses and more than 40 sessions.
Experts believe the ruling will not be announced until 2027. Once made public, it can be appealed to the Supreme Court, and later to the Constitutional Court.