NOTE! This site uses cookies

By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. For more detalis, see Read more

Accept

What are you looking for?

Vueling’s Board accepts the new takeover conditions offered by British Airways-Iberia

IAG, the merger between British Airways and Iberia, improved its offer on Vueling’s shares, increasing from a price of €7 per share to €9.25. The board of the Barcelona-based airline considers the new conditions to be “reasonable” and have decided to recommend that the shareholders accept the offer. In fact, some Board members, such as Vueling’s President Josep Piqué have announced that they will sell their shares to IAG. Iberia already controls 45.85% of Vueling and IAG’s aim is to completely control the Catalan airline. Therefore, the takeover is on the condition that they are able to acquire at least 4.16% of Vueling’s shares, which would mean that IAG would control at least 50.01% of the Barcelona-based airline. The deadline to accept the offer expires on the 19th of April.

SHARE

10 April 2013 01:16 AM

by

ACN

Barcelona (ACN).- The Board of the Barcelona-based airline Vueling accepted the new takeover offer presented by IAG, the merger between British Airways and Iberia. The Board had previously rejected the initial offer and so IAG improved it, increasing from a price of \u20AC7 per share to \u20AC9.25. The board of the Barcelona-based airline communicated to the Spanish Stock Market Authority (CNMV) that the new conditions were \u201Creasonable\u201D, as they were released on Tuesday. Consequently, Vueling\u2019s Board will recommend that the shareholders accept the offer. In fact, all the Board members, including Vueling\u2019s President Josep Piqué, have announced that they want to sell their shares to IAG. Iberia already controls 45.85% of Vueling and IAG\u2019s aim is to take full control of the Catalan airline. Therefore, the takeover is on the condition that they are able to acquire at least 4.16% of Vueling\u2019s shares, in order to control at least 50.01% of the Barcelona-based airline. The deadline to accept the offer expires on the 19th of April.


In November, IAG announced a takeover offer on 100% of the Vueling shares. Iberia already owned 45.85% of the Barcelona-based airline and therefore the takeover offer was for the remaining 54.15%. On the 27th of February, IAG formally presented the takeover offer, offering \u20AC7 per share. On the 7th of March, Vueling\u2019s Board rejected the offer as they considered it to be too low and recommended that the shareholders not sell their shares to IAG. On the 27th of March, IAG improved its initial offer, increasing from \u20AC7 to \u20AC9.25 per share. On the 4th of April the CNMV approved IAG\u2019s new conditions and five days later, Vueling\u2019s Board gave the green light to the operation.

IAG has made its offer on the condition that they are able to buy at least 4.16% of Vueling\u2019s shares, corresponding to \u20AC1.24 million shares. This represents \u20AC11.5 million, with the new offered price. If IAG buys more than 4.16% of Vueling\u2019s shares, the operation will go ahead and IAG will completely control the Barcelona-based airline as it will own more than 50% of its shares. If IAG finally buys all the remaining 16.19 million shares that are currently not owned by Iberia, it will have to pay some \u20AC150 million. After the 19th of April it will be announced whether IAG will take full control of one of the few airlines in Europe to make a profit in the last few years.

SHARE

  • A Vueling aircraft in Lleida-Alguaire airport (by ACN)

  • A Vueling aircraft in Lleida-Alguaire airport (by ACN)