NOTE! This site uses cookies

By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. For more detalis, see Read more

Accept

What are you looking for?


54.7% of Catalans would support independence from Spain in a referendum according to a poll

The latest political poll issued by the Catalan Survey Centre (CEO), published every three months, shows that 54.7% of those interviewed would vote “yes” in an independence referendum, while 20.7% would vote “no” and 17.0% would abstain. Three months ago, the “yes” option was backed by 57% of the interviewees while in February 2012 it was only backed by 44%. Besides, 46.4% of citizens would support an independent Catalan state as their first choice, which represents an increase of 2.1 percentage points in three months and a 17.4 point increase in one year. 22.4% would prefer a federal Spain, 20.7% the current situation and 4.4% Catalonia being a region within a more centralised Spain.

SHARE

21 February 2013 11:41 PM

by

ACN

Barcelona (ACN).- The latest political poll issued by the Catalan Survey Centre (CEO), published every three months, shows that 54.7% of those interviewed would vote \u201Cyes\u201D in an independence referendum, while 20.7% would vote \u201Cno\u201D and 17.0% would abstain. In October, the \u201Cyes\u201D option was backed by 57% of the interviewees while in February 2012 it was only backed by 44%. In addition, 46.4% of citizens would support an independent Catalan state as their first choice, which represents an increase of 2.1 points in three months and a 17.4 point increase in one year. 22.4% would prefer a federal Spain, 20.7% the current situation and 4.4% Catalonia being a region within a more centralised Spain. Furthermore, 77.6% of citizens are totally or partially in favour of the Catalan Government having all the power regarding taxation in Catalonia and collecting all the taxes. Besides, the main concern of Catalans is unemployment and job insecurity (43.4% of the interviewees), while the dissatisfaction with politicians is the top concern for 18.2% of the interviewees and how the economy works is the third top concern (15.5%).


If an independence referendum from Spain was to be held these days, 54.7% of Catalans would support an independent Catalonia. 20.7% would vote against independence and 17.0% would abstain from voting altogether. 7.6% of the interviewees did not answer the question. The 54.7% support is 2.3 percentage points lower than in October but 10 points higher than a year ago. The main cause stated by those supporting the \u201Cyes\u201D vote is having greater fiscal and economic capacities (29.4%). The main reason by those voting \u201Cno\u201D is keeping the unity of Spain.

46.4% of citizens support independence as their first choice, while they represented 29% a year ago

However, the CEO survey has another question to measure the support for independence. 46.4% of citizens support Catalonia\u2019s independence from Spain as their first choice. 22.4% would prefer a federal Spain with greater power for Catalonia, 20.7% like the current situation and 4.4% would choose Catalonia being a region within a more centralised Spain. The number of those supporting independence as their first choice has risen from 44.3% in October to 46.4% now. One year ago, they represented 29.0%.

77.6% of citizens want the Catalan Government to have greater fiscal and tax collection powers

52.7% of citizens are totally in favour of the Catalan Government having all the power regarding taxation in Catalonia and collecting all the taxes. In addition, 24.9% are partially in favour of this statement. Both numbers added together mean that 77.6% of Catalans would like the Catalan Government to have greater fiscal powers and participate more in tax collection, which is currently controlled by the Spanish Government. 8.1% are partially against this idea and 7.2% of the interviewees are totally against the idea. This means that 15.3% would oppose the idea, while the rest do not know or did not answer.

SHARE

  • A caption from last September's 1.5 million strong demonstration in Barcelona supporting Catalonia's independence (by ACN)

  • A caption from last September's 1.5 million strong demonstration in Barcelona supporting Catalonia's independence (by ACN)