NOTE! This site uses cookies

By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. For more detalis, see Read more

Accept

What are you looking for?

Warehouse fire in Tarragona industrial estate “under control”

Authorities assure there was “no danger” to citizens in the nearby areas

SHARE

07 July 2019 04:33 PM

by

ACN | Barcelona

Firemen have controlled a fire in a warehouse of the logistics company Miasa, located in an industrial park in Tarragona. Among the products that were stored at the site were chemicals, in small quantities.

At a press conference in Reus, both the Catalan government and the Tarragona City Council stressed that there was "no danger" for the people living in the surrounding area. 

In addition, the confinement of the workers of nearby companies has already been lifted. The director of the territorial services of inland Tarragona, Joan Carles de la Monja, announced that "the situation is controlled," and foresees that in the next hours the emergency chemical plan will be deactivated.

Sixty-five firefighters continue to work to extinguish the fire inside the Miasa warehouse. The fire started around one in the morning and burned about 4,800m2 of the 8,000m2 in the workspace.

The fire inspector and head of intervention, Joan Rovira, explained that inside the warehouse were products of varying types, as it is a logistics company. According to him, cleaning and aerosol products have been burned, while flammable products were not.

In fact, "many aerosol cans" were found around the perimeter of the building, which were projected out as a result of the fire, according to Rovira. This made the firemen’s task of extinguishing the fire more difficult. Firefighters hope to extinguish the fire by the end of the day and still do not know the cause that started it.

SHARE

  • Aerosol cans and cleaning products scattered around the outside of the warehouse affected by the fire. (Photo: Mar Rovira)

  • Aerosol cans and cleaning products scattered around the outside of the warehouse affected by the fire. (Photo: Mar Rovira)

RELATED