NOTE! This site uses cookies

By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. For more detalis, see Read more

Accept

What are you looking for?

Mundó denies 'contravening warnings' of Spain's judiciary on referendum

The former justice minister was the last to give his testimony on Wednesday night in the Supreme Court

SHARE

20 February 2019 08:56 PM

by

ACN | Madrid

Carles Mundó, Catalan ex-minister, began his testimony in Spain’s Supreme Court on Wednesday night, where he said that he “did not carry out any act contravening the warnings of Spain's judiciary [on the referendum].”

The former justice minister also said the previous Catalan government called declaration of independence "convinced that it was not a crime." Speaking in court, Mundó also insisted that the referendum was "not funded with public money,” adding that “maybe” it was backed by “private” funds.

7 years in prison requested by prosecutor

Mundó stepped down from politics after spending 33 days in precautionary jail in late 2017 for his role in the independence bid. Unlike their former government colleagues, Carles Mundó, along with Meritxell Borràs, and Santi Vila (all free on bail) are accused of the lesser offence of misuse of public funds, for allegedly allocating money from the administration to pay for the referendum, which had been deemed illegal by the Spanish courts.

The prosecutor is requesting 7 years in prison, 16 years barred from office and a €30,000 fine for Mundó. 

SHARE

  • Carles Mundó testifies in the Catalan trial in the Spanish Supreme Court on February 20 2019

  • Carles Mundó testifies in the Catalan trial in the Spanish Supreme Court on February 20 2019